Thursday, October 28, 2010

Becoming the Cupcake Cutie

This week I started the daunting task of testing recipes for Meggy Rae's Cupcake Cutie! On Monday, I brought in my first sample flavor (chocolate cake filled with chocolate pastry cream and peanut crunch buttercream icing) to work. In exchange for a cupcake, I asked them to give their honest opinion and suggestions. Along with their critiques, I ended up getting a request to make cupcakes for a baby shower (my first client!!!) this Saturday and other pending requests!

In the first week, I found out that I was successful at many things. I am excellent at making a disaster of my mom's beautiful kitchen. I have done so many dishes in the past 2 days. Luckily my love of cooking makes up for my shear hatred of washing dishes.

Dishes waiting to be done. 
I have to say that my decorating skills leave something to be desired. At this point, I am hoping the flavor of the cupcakes make up for the lack of, but I will be looking for some good piping tools in the next few months in order to help out my cause. If anyone has any suggestions on what to get, please let me know!

Being that I have this ridiculous sweet tooth and over the last year, I have done a great job of saying "no" to desserts,  I am finding that I have to exhibit even more discipline than I ever imagined. While I leave the tasting to my guinea pigs (my parents), I have to admit that I take tiny samples once in a while, and I think it is starting to catch up to me. I am pretty sure today I completely negated my insanity workout. If you have ever done one of these workouts, it is not one that begs you to ruin your diet. Luckily, my halloween costume came two sizes too big, so I don't have to worry about it not fitting!!(P.S. I'm going to be a chef for Halloween!)

I was, however, successful in finding my chocolate cake recipe that is going to be my signature. It is delicious and my dad even had two tonight! He LOVED them. :) These are the same cupcakes I am making for the baby shower so hopefully they will be a big hit!!

Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Italian Meringue Buttercream
 Tomorrow is my day to bring dessert to work, so I made a dish that was in my lunch box every day through grade school...tandy cake. I used a cookie cutter and stacked them and topped with melted hershey's milk chocolate and some orange sprinkles (it is halloween after all).


Tandy Cake:
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c flour
1 c milk
2 T butter
1 18-oz. creamy peanut butter
2 8-oz Hershey bars (plain)

Directions: Preheat oven to 350 F.
Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Then beat in flour. Scald milk and add butter to it. Then add milk to better and blend well.
Bake in greased jellyroll pan (12x17 inch) for 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven.
Immediately spread with peanut butter. Chill. When cooled, melt chocolate and spread over cake. Refrigerate then cut into bars.

I used a cookie cutter and stacked one on top of another. Then temper the chocolate and put a dollop on each cake stack, enough so the chocolate runs down the sides. I doubled the recipe to yield 24 servings.

Needless to say, I have a long road a head of me, but it is fun pursuing something that I actually get excited about. And I have business cards and a new mixer!!!

Sweet dreams, followers!

The Fashionista Foodie

2 comments:

Style Activist said...

Looks YUM!
SO excited about this :)

Keep it up!!

XOXO,
style activist

Marissa said...

You're making my mouth water! These look delish, and I'm excited for you on your new venture!

Good Luck & Keep up the yummy cooking!
XXXO
M