Sunday, November 7, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookie...CUPCAKE???

Lately, I have been ridiculously busy with work and just life in general, but no matter how long of a day I have had or how tired I am I still find the energy to bake up some scrumptious treats. I am sure many of you can relate, but my kitchen is my sanctuary. Sometimes (I emphasize sometimes) just getting in the kitchen and conjuring up something delectable is more enjoyable than devouring my work of art.

I have to confess, I have made about 6-8 different cupcake flavors in the last 3 weeks and have tasted only one of them. I leave the tasting up to my guinea pigs...i.e. my parents and a few lucky coworkers that promise to give their honest critiques on them.

My Sister (Kelly) and I at the Redskins game. We are not twins, but we could be! (She's on the right)
 When I finally own my own cupcake shop, I am naming some cupcakes after my family members. This cupcake and post is dedicated to my sister, Kelly. Growing up, after dinner we always had to have "snack", i.e. dessert. Most of the time it was Kelly's chocolate chip cookies. These are the best cookies I have ever eaten! Of course, she always had to double the recipe because only half of it would actually make it in to the oven. This weekend I made the cupcake that will be named after Kel!

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cupcake with Cookie Dough Frosting

Cupcakes 
(Courtesy of Crazy About Cupcakes by Krystina Castella)

The Topping
1/2 C brown sugar
1 large egg
1/8 tsp salt
1 C (6 oz) semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 tsp vanilla

*the original recipe calls for walnuts, but I omitted those.

The Cupcakes:
1/2 C butter, at room temp
6 T granulated sugar
6 T brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg, at room temp
1 C all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Directions:
1. Making the topping: In a large bowl combine the brown sugar, egg, and salt. beat with an electric mixer at high speed until thick, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chocolate chips and vanilla extract.
2. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Insert liners into a medium cupcake pan.
3. Combine the butter, sugars, and vanilla in a small bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Add the egg and beat for 1 minute.
4. In a separate small bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.
5. Gradually add the dry  ingredients to the egg mixture and mix with a rubber spatula or a wooden spoon until fully integrated.
6. Fill the cupcake liners half full. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven. Turn up the oven temperature to 425 F. Spoon 2 tablespoons of topping over each cupcake. Return the pan to the oven. Bake for 10 more minutes. Cool cupcakes in the pan.

Cookie Dough frosting 
(Courtesy of The Cupcake Review)

1 3/4 C confectioner sugar
1/2 C unsalted butter, chilled
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 T milk
eggless cookie dough (recipe below)

Eggless Cookie Dough
(How to Eat a Cupcake)

1/4 C butter, softened
1/4 C brown sugar, plus 2 tbsp.
2 tsp. water
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 C all-purpose flour, sifted
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 C mini chocolate chips (semi-sweet)

Directions: In a small bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar. Add the water and vanilla. Stir in the sifted flour and salt.
In an electric mixer, cream the butter and confectioner sugar. Add the salt, vanilla, and milk. Stir in the eggless cookie dough.


Kelly's Chocolate Chip Cookies

2/3 C butter
1/2 C sugar
1/2 C brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 C all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions: Preheat the oven to 350 F.
In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, and salt.
Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugars. Add the egg and vanilla. Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture. Stir in the chocolate chips.
Use a small ice cream scoop and bake for 8-9 minutes.
Use for garnish.


The recipe does have a lot of steps, but trust me it is definitely worth it! (I did taste this one!)
I sent one to my sister in Richmond, and she LOVED it! Hope u do too. Let me know if you try it!

Enjoy!!!!

The Fashionista Foodie

2 comments:

Kelly said...

YAY! They were delicious!!! I'm am so having fun reading this! I love you!

Meghan Rae said...

Yay!! You joined the blogger world!! Love you too!