Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Recipe Renovation

Tonight is the first night of my "recipe renovation" project. Every Wednesday I will transform a popular recipe that everyone loves, and re-create a healthier and more delicious recipe! Who says that you have to sacrifice flavor when eating healthy?

On a side note, one of the reasons that I have chosen to make this one of my projects is for several reasons. About a year ago, I started what I thought would be a "diet". I was the heaviest I had ever been and, while I maintained a good workout program, my "diet" left something to be desired. In September of 2009, I decided to do a workout program called p90x. I will swear by this workout, but I would not necessarily give so much credit to the workout as I would to the nutrition plan that they provide along with the videos. This nutrition plan taught me what foods were beneficial for my body, and how to get the most energy out of what I was consuming.

With that said, 30 pounds lighter and 4 jeans sizes smaller, I have come a long way with making the right food choices. I also will never go on another "diet" because, let's be real, they do not work. The most effective way of losing weight is making a "lifestyle change". So, for those of you who are desperate and cannot figure out why you are not losing weight, hopefully you will find this helpful.

My first recipe is a makeover of chicken stir-fry. This dish can pack up to 1,100 calories/per dish. When you make this at home, you can control the quality of ingredients.

This dish serves 6 people generously.

Marinade:
4 Chicken breasts, cut in to cubes
2 scallions, green and white parts
1 T toasted coriander, ground
1 tsp mustard seeds, ground
1 T ground cumin
Red pepper flakes, to taste
1-2 T honey
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1-inch fresh garlic, minced
1 lime
1/2 C Soy Sauce, reduced sodium
1/4 C terriyaki  

Stir Fry:
2-3 T Cornstarch
2 T EVOO, divided
2 medium zucchini, cubed
1 medium onion, chopped
8 0z. mushrooms, sliced (baby bella or button work well)
1 can sliced water chestnuts
1 C broccoli
1/2 C toasted cashews
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions: In a large plastic bag, combine marinade and cubed chicken. Place the bag in a bowl and marinate in refrigerator for up 30-45 minutes.*





Meanwhile, chop the vegetables and reserve for later. Toast the cashews in a skillet over low heat. Keep an eye on them because they will burn easily. Remove from heat.


Reserve the marinade. In a large wok, add 1 T evoo and saute the chicken in two batches on medium high heat until cooked through. Remove the chicken.


Add the onions, zucchini, and mushrooms. Cook until tender, about 5-8 minutes. Mix the marinade with the cornstarch. Add the broccoli and water chestnuts. Add the marinade to the wok and cook until thickened. Add the chicken and cashews. Taste for seasonings.


 

Best when served over Quinoa!
For a vegetarian option, omit the chicken. The quinoa provides plenty of protein!

*Note: Do not marinate for longer than an hour because the lime juice will start to cook the chicken. If you need to add more liquid, make sure you add a bit more cornstarch to allow it to  maintain its thickness. Cilantro would also make a good pairing with this.

Tips: My recipe turned out a little thin. If you like the sauce thicker, add a little more cornstarch. Also, I did not chop up the garlic or the ginger for the marinade. Next time, I would chop it finely in order to add more flavor into the marinade and ultimately the sauce.

Healthy eating can be easy!

The Fashionista Foodie

No comments: