Sunday, December 5, 2010

Erika and Meg's Excellent Adventure-Healthy Eats

As many of you know, Erika and I are headed on a road trip in less than two weeks!! While traveling, it is easy to stray from healthy eating because "junk food" is more easily accessible. We do not want to  be eating out every meal because our budgets and our waistlines do not allow for such a splurge. I have put together a few healthy snacks  that will allow us to save some money and stay healthy!!!

1. Blueberry-Maple Muffins
One of my favorite websites to find healthy recipes is Eatingwell.com, and I will be making these for a grab and go breakfast. Since breakfast is the most important meal of the day, I want to make sure we always have something that provides and energy and nourishment.

2. Spiced Nuts
I absolutely love any kind of nut...almonds, cashews, walnuts, pecans, peanuts. I'm going to make some spiced almonds to snack on.

3. Multigrain Chips
Costco has organic multigrain chips I am absolutely obsessed with. I'll be packing these, for sure!

4. Carrots, Celery and Cucumbers
It is easy to consume too many calories from snacking. Eat vegetables is a good way to eat more while consuming less calories. Vegetables contain a lot of water as well so they are filling and keep hydrating.

5. Fruit
I'll have some organic apples packed. Apples travel well and contain vitamin C to keep our immune systems strong during travel and exhaustion.
 6. Gum
Riding in the car for long hours can get boring. Mindlessly munching tends to happen often. If I get the urge to snack even though I'm not hungry, popping in a piece of gum usually curbs my craving.

7. Water
Paying over $1 for a bottle of water can get expensive. Buying them in bulk will help keep our costs down, and it will also keep us hydrated!!

8. Cookies
I'm also going to be baking up some healthy, low calorie cookies. After all, it is the holidays, and they are healthier cookies!! One batch will suffice.

Strategies to avoid Mindless Munching:

1. Stay hydrated.
2. Chew gum.
3. Always eat breakfast.
4. Pre-portion everything before leaving.
5. Pack books and magazines.
6. Play road games.
7. Go on a road trip with your best friend!

5 comments:

Dandy said...

Yall are going to have a blast!!
xoxo,
http://www.justdandy.org/

Erika of Style Activist said...

Yes! This is so exciting. I love the spiced nuts part the most - reminds me of Distrito that one time we drank way too much. Excellent times :D

Love you! Can't wait to start our travels.
XOXO,
style activist

thefashionistafoodie said...

Yes!! It is going to be a blast!!! I knew you would love those!! I'm going to try and recreate those!

The ONE time we drank too much hahaha???

Thanks for the love, girlies!!

Miss image style consultant said...

Yummy treats indeed & whats the best way to indulge in it, is to share them with your girlfriends!!

mister marble awards said...

FOOD!!! I love those pictures. The make me drool of hunger.. Hahaha!