Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Recipe Renovation #3

I have to be honest, I tried and failed at renovating a burger. I wanted to make a salmon burger, but it did not turn out so well. The texture was a little weird and I did not like the taste of the salmon. However, I decided to make something else that was actually delicious!!

I have a true love for risotto! It is rich and creamy and melts like butter inside your mouth. I also like to consider myself in a committed relationship with Quinoa. It is my favorite grain and is a complete protein. So, I decided to make a...

Curried Butternut Squash Quinoa Risotto

6 C reduced sodium chicken stock, simmering
1-2 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 C Quinoa
1/2 Medium Butternut squash, peeled and chopped
1-2 tsp curry powder
s & p, to taste
Handful of chopped spinach
Parmesan cheese to garnish
1 T butter, optional
 In a dutch oven, combine evoo, squash, and quinoa. Saute for 1-2 minutes.

 Slowly add the simmering chicken broth, one to two ladles at a time. Continue stirring.
This takes patience, but don't stop stirring. 

Once all or most of the broth is absorbed and the quinoa is cooked through, add the spinach, parmesan, and a tab of butter (if using). Stir vigorously, until thickened!

Serve with a lemon wedge and an arugula salad with a squeeze of lemon juice and drizzle of EVOO. Add parmesan cheese, if desired. 

Enjoy, guilt free!!! 

Meghan Rae

No comments: