Thursday, January 13, 2011

Shrimp and Grits

Hello to all my southerners out there who love them some shrimp and grits. Of course they are delicious when you all you can taste is the butter. Well, you know how I feel about butter :). When you try my renovated version of this, I promise you will not miss the butter or the grits. You do get to keep the shrimp though! Bonus, this is also vegetarian friendly as well (if you are a seafood eating vegetarian).

My recipe...SHRIMP AND CAULIFLOWER MASH. I have to be honest with you guys, I only made this with a half a head of cauliflower, but I ate the whole thing...BY MYSELF. It was delicious. I just simply could not say, "NO". It was creamy and buttery and tangy and of course a little spicy. It had me saying, "mashed potatoes, what??". I am sure I have you guys drooling now and anticipating trying recipe!! ;) So, without further ado...my scrumptious dinner I shamelessly devoured tonight.

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!! I would never use butter...bleh.

For the shrimp: (yields-2 servings)
10-12 medium to large sized shrimp
1-2 T EVOO
1-2 tsp. oregano
1 clove garlic, minced
Squeeze 1/2 Lemon
salt and pepper, to taste

Directions: Preheat the oven to 400 F. In a bowl, combine the shrimp and the rest of the ingredients. Allow to marinate for 10-15 minutes, but no longer than 15!

Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for 6-7 minutes.

For the Cauliflower Mash: (2 generous servings)
1/2 head of cauliflower
1-2 Cups *Almond Milk
2 cloves garlic, peeled
salt, to taste
1-2 tsp. dijon mustard
1/4 Cup crumbled feta
cayenne pepper, to taste

Directions: Combine cauliflower, garlic cloves and almond milk in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; cover and reduce to simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender.

Transfer the cauliflower to a food processor. Add about 1/2 cup of the milk. Pulse until smooth. Add more milk, if needed. Add dijon, feta, and cayenne. Pulse to combine.

*You can use skim milk as a substitute or any other milk you have on hand. I love almond milk and happened to have some so that's what I used!

I am sorry I do not have a picture. My camera is broken at the moment. Hope to get it fixed shortly. :/

I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I did!! This is a recipe I will be adding to my favorites list!! Let me know how you guys like it!

Also, if you have any recipes that you want to see made over, please let me know!! I will be happy to renovate it for you all!!

I am excited about the my new readers out there! Please stop by and say, "hello"! I love reading your comments. Make sure to leave your blog website so I can visit yours and get to know you as well!

Hope you all enjoy!!

~Meghan Rae

1 comment:

Marissa said...

Meg- this looks so delish! I am trying this as soon as I get back to school. I don't like grits (or butter for that matter, yuck!) so I think the cauliflower would be yummy, and of course healthy!

XXXO
M

Bloggerista Book Club