Sunday, January 30, 2011

Weekend Vegging

Sorry for my absence from posting new recipes. I have been busy trying to get The Cupcake Cutie up and running. There are a lot of new and exciting opportunities happening for me with that!! I will keep you guys posted when everything is finalized!

What did you all do this weekend? I spent my weekend with Erika   and a few other friends in DC to celebrate my brother's birthday. On Saturday we made the trek back to my house and vegged out on the couch all day watching movies and eventually got up to cook a delicious meal with Erika. It was a much-needed relaxing weekend with friends!

Since I have been lacking on my "recipe renovation" posts, I figured I would just give you guys one of my favorite "go-to" recipes. Vegetarian quesadillas, guacamole, and plantains...DELISH!

Vegetarian Quesadillas
Servings: 4
1 small onion, diced
1 zucchini, diced
7-8 oz. mushrooms, sliced (I used white button, but use your favorite or whatever you have on hand)
1 clove garlic
1/2 tomato, diced
2 tbsp. E & M's Spice Rub
Salt and Pepper, to taste
8 corn tortillas
1/4-1/2 C shredded cheese

Directions:  Preheat the oven to 400 F.
In a medium saucepan, saute the onion in 1-2 T evoo, until tender, about 2-3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and brown. Add the garlic, zucchini, and tomatoes. Add in spice rub and seasonings, to taste.
On a cookie tray, put 1/2 the cheese on one side of the corn tortilla. Divide the vegetables evenly among the 4 corn tortillas. Top with the rest of the cheese and a corn tortilla. Cook for 10-15 minutes, or slightly crisp and brown.

The Best Guacamole You will Ever Have!!
2 ripe avocados
1/2 red onion, diced
1 tomato
Juice of a Lime
1/4 C cilantro, minced
Salt and Pepper, to taste
Cholula hot sauce, optional

For best results, make sure you pick ripe avocados. It makes it creamier and easier to mix up.
This is best made with a molcajete, but you can also use a food processor or a fork and bowl!

Plantains:
EVOO
Green Plantains
Cumin
Salt

Directions: Slice the plantains about 1-inch thick. Heat the EVOO on med to med-low heat and slightly brown the plantains on each side. Be careful not to get them too brown. The goal is to slightly cook them through. Remove from heat, with a plate smash the plantains. Add a little more evoo to the pan and finish the cooking process. This should take about 2-3 minutes/side. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel, to remove excess oil. Season immediately with salt and cumin! ENJOY!

This was my weekend meal. It was delicious and a perfect way to spend my weekend! What did you all make??

Love,

The Cupcake Cutie ;)

No comments: